5 Tips to Overcome Senior Isolation
April 13, 2015
- Find and participate in social opportunities provided by senior centers, which offer group lunches and other activities.
- Implement an innovative senior visitation program, such as the National Institute of Senior Centers’ “Home Tea,” in which homebound seniors are visited by volunteers with tea to share and an inspirational card.
- Provide a homebound senior with some simple instruction on setting up and utilizing a Facebook account, which can open up a whole new world of interaction. Cascade Companion Care can provide this service, and also offers a number of resources on our Facebook page.
- Partner with a local high school for intergenerational relationship building. A senior center in New York City, for example, matches up visually impaired seniors with high school students who spend time reading to them, opening mail, and accompanying them to appointments.
- Utilize home care services, such as Cascade Companion Care provides, for outings to visit friends or to enjoy an event and much needed companionship at home.